10 Creative Writing Prompts
Have a bad case of writer’s block? Not to worry, it happens to all of us. Sometimes we fall into a bit of a writing rut, and we find that the best way to break free of it is to open up our minds with some creative writing prompts. Scroll down to get inspired! Who knows, this might just spark an idea in you for the next best-seller!
2. Jump in and finish this story!
It was pitch-black and Darla couldn’t see a thing. As she eased herself forward she scraped her hand on something sharp and slimy, and shivered as she heard a splash behind her…
3. 10 year-old Mike is running home in the rain and gets hit by lightning. He survives, but seems to have a strange new ability…
4. Sandra was starving! But as she settled into the restaurant booth and opened up the menu her brow furrowed. She had never even heard of most of the foods before!
5. Start your story off with “There was once a chance I never took…”
6. Write a story based on the following paragraph:
During a short afternoon hike, a young couple finds themselves face-to-face with a strange creature. It’s nothing like anything they’ve ever seen or heard of. One of them is scared and wants to high-tail it home, but the other seems to be mesmerized with the creature and wants to follow it. So they do…
7. In 300 words or less, write about a day in the life of an inanimate object.
8. Samantha and Beth are completely broke and didn’t pay this month’s phone bill. The strange thing is, the phone keeps ringing and ringing…and ringing. Every time they pick it up the same automated message plays. A woman’s voice softly says, “Call 819-267-5151. I have something you need.” They don’t recognize the woman’s voice or the telephone number. Samantha is creeped out, but Beth convinces her to call the number.
9. Imagine you are eating the most delicious meal you’ve ever had. In no less than 500 words, describe the experience.
10. The meaning of life has been discovered.
Did you enjoy getting creative with these writing prompts? Share your stories with us in the comments below!