Staff Pick: Maybelline Color Sensational Lipstick
I wear lipstick pretty much every day. You can safely bet that it’s what I’m taking to any deserted island, and that there are usually at least two tubes of it on my person at any given time. Because of this my lipstick turnover rate is quite high, and I realized that I’m spending a small fortune on it! So, I decided to try and find a cheaper alternative to my high end brand favorites.
The problem is that it seems to be quite difficult to find a good matte lipstick at the drugstore. Most don’t last as long as high-end brands, contain way too much glitter for anyone’s good, and can sometimes smell a bit…strange. Or at least that was my general opinion until I happened upon Maybelline’s Color Sensational Lipsticks. I now own this lipstick in two shades; #235 Warm Me Up and #365 Sugared Honey. I absolutely adore both. I could go on and on about why, so I’ve made a simple pros vs. cons list for you.
• It’s wallet friendly! I only paid about $6.00 CAD on each.
• Doesn’t settle into creases. I like to do a quick lip scrub every morning and let a light lip balm sink in for about 10 minutes before applying this lip color. It makes for a very smooth application.
• Long-Lasting Color – After I apply it in the morning before heading to work I usually only have to reapply twice a day, once after lunch time and once around mid-afternoon.
• Matte color – When applied alone it offers a lovely matte finish, and when applied over lip balm it gives a subtle sheen which I think I’ll like during the summer months.
• Wide range of color choices – If you’re like me and usually stick to just a few natural looking shades this won’t matter as much to you. But if you like to have variety, this line’s got it!
• Not as long-lasting as high-end brands. I’ll always have a soft spot for my MAC and NARS lipsticks because they have incredible staying power. But, it won’t kill me to reapply a few more times throughout the day either.
• Matte color can sometimes look a bit unnatural. That’s why I like to apply a light lip balm first, as it makes the lipstick go on a little lighter. I recently chopped off the tip of the lipstick and mixed it with a bit of Vaseline and really like the consistency.
• Contains Alumina and Aluminum Hydroxide. A lot of people are iffy on how toxic these are to ingest, and women ingest a LOT of lipstick over the course of their lives. However, this lipstick contains very low amounts of each and I’m not too worried.
Have you tried this line of Maybelline lipstick? I’m always on the hunt for great makeup deals so if you’ve come across a great drugstore find let me know in a comment below!
Image via Maybelline.com